Announcement of call for proposals – Joint Canada-Israel Health Research Program Phase II – 2022-2023 competition
Phase II of JCIHRP seeks to support fundamental research at the cutting-edge of biomedical science and global health. Six grants worth up to CA$ 1.4 million each will be awarded to research teams based in Canada, Israel and low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) for a period of up to four years.
This second call under Phase II is for proposals in the field of communicable diseases, with a particular focus on investigating underlying biological mechanisms and impacts on global health. Potential topics may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Discovery research to identify new pathogens and their distribution in human populations
- New therapeutic approaches for communicable diseases
- Drug resistance biology and mechanism in infectious disease
- Host – Parasite interactions
- New directions in vaccine research for infectious diseases
- New biomarkers for infectious disease detection, characterization and monitoring
- Vector-borne and zoonotic diseases, including the impact of climate change on zoonotic disease distribution
- New technology platforms for rapid detection of pathogens of pandemic importance
Exclusions: SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19 research, studies, surveys, clinical trials and work primarily aimed at informing public health policy are NOT eligible for funding through this opportunity. However, the use of randomization in basic biomedical research studies is accepted.
The teams will integrate world-class researchers from all three geographic areas with the intention of strengthening scientific capacity, as well as promoting collaboration, knowledge mobilization and scientific excellence in all its diversity.
Further details on the call and detailed guidelines for submission are published on CIHR’s Funding Opportunity database. The application process for this funding opportunity is comprised of two steps: registration and application. In Canada, registrations are due January 17, 2023, and applications are due February 16, 2023. In Israel, registrations are due January 17, 2023, and administrative applications are due February 15, 2023.
It is mandatory that teams submit their registration and application to both ISF and CIHR.
For further information, please contact:
Telephone: 613-954-1968; Toll Free: 1-888-603-4178
Scientific Director Special Programs
Israel Science Foundation